Welcome To Day 17 Of “25 Days Of Christmas Sweet Treats”!
Last year I did “25 Days Of Christmas Cookies“. Please click the link to find all those wonderful recipes and please check back here every day for Christmas Sweet Treats all the way up until Christmas Day!
Today was a nice, slow and easy going day. Sometimes those are the best kind of days, especially around Christmas.
I got to go out for breakfast with a good friend of mine. She is leaving Japan and going back to the states to visit with family for Christmas and so I needed to see her before she left. I had a great time, I always do with her. We can and do talk for hours on end!
The rest of my day was planning what my last week of sweet treats will be! I can’t believe Christmas is just about 1 week away! It goes by so quickly. Thankfully I have been able to enjoy it.
I don’t know about you, but I am just crazy about caramel candy. Hard or soft…I have never met a caramel I did not like.
I have made caramel before, not into the candy form but it may has well have been as it sets the same as a nice chewy caramel, for a topping on my cheesecakes.
I had to ask myself why have I not made these before, especially after tasting one. It was just what I was hoping for, even better. Delicious, buttery goodness. Let’s not forget the wonderful rum either but man..the buttery taste and the perfect chewiness make these amazing.
I know many people are afraid to make candy or unsure if it will work out. Here’s the thing, sometimes it all comes out together perfect and then sometimes, it just is a hot mess. Practice! Don’t be afraid to try to make it happen, you may surprise yourself and discover like I have, that candy making is a lot of fun!
- Vegetable oil or Pam Spray, for greasing
- 2 cups Packed Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Stick (1/4 cup) Unsalted Butter
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup plus 1 Teaspoon Dark Rum
- 1 Teaspoon Butter Extract
- Line bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper and oil parchment.
- Bring brown sugar, cream, butter, salt, and ½ cup rum to a boil in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan, stirring until butter is melted, then boil over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 248°F (firm-ball stage), about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and remaining teaspoon rum. Pour into baking pan and cool completely until firm.
- Cut into 1-inch squares. You can wrap each piece in wax paper or stack in a tin, making sure to put wax paper between the layers.