How was everyones Valentines Day? Mine was wonderful then ended in a painful BANG on icy concrete having to be scraped off said concrete by my loving husband. Ohh what a night! I am still recovering from the nasty fall. I smashed my ankle, then my knee got the brunt of it, splitting it open. Lovely stuff really. I am stiff and can not move really well but all should heal just fine!
Now, onto the happy stuff! Ohh, incase you are curious I got beautiful flowers, small chocolates, a video game and a cute stuffed froggy. Speaking of love..were we speaking of love? Today my husband proposed to me 11 years ago! So in honor of both days I wanted to make him something super sweet. I love making “smaller” sized cakes when it is being made for an individual person. So I decided upon a 3 tier mini heart shaped cake.
I don’t remember the last time I made a devil’s food cake and thought it should be amazing, well we all hope everything comes out amazing on the first try, right? Sometimes I am lucky, others..not so much. This recipe is a winner though. It is rich, it is dark, very moist and all together yummy. It will now be my go-to when I am wanting a devil’s food cake although just because I found a go-to does not mean I won’t give other recipes a try, I’m a baker!
Tomorrow I will be posting the recipe for the frosting if you are interested in the one I’ve paired with this delicious cake.
- 9 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1½ cups Cake Flour (not self-rising)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 4 ounces Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 large Eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup strong Coffee
- ½ cup Whole Milk
- 3 4inch mini Heart Shape Pans
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Spray the 3 tins with Baker's Joy or any other spray or you can also use butter.
- Sift together the cocoa powder, cake flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- I another bowl of either your electric mixer or hand mixer beat the butter and sugar for 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time till fully incorporated.
- Mix together the milk and coffee.
- Stir in the dry ingredients with the wet.
- Pour into prepared heart shaped mini tins. There will be excess batter so you may want to make a small round cake or some cupcakes on the side!
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.