Another year of baking almost done! I am floored as to how quickly 2012 has gone! My time here in Japan is fading fast! A little over 1 year left here, then we move along!
I appreciate each and everyone of you out there whom has visited my blog this year, commented, sent me emails! Keep it coming! I know at the start of a new year baking blogs tend to loose visitors and everyone is on a health kick! I want you to know that sweet treats are perfectly fine in moderation! Okay, leaving it at that. You will come back if you want & I hope you do!!
There will be many sweet treats in the coming year! Also…ice cream is “baking”…right??? We can pretend,lol. I was a very good girl this year and Santa brought me and ice cream machine and I will be putting it to good use and sharing it all on here too.
I have “goals” I want to accomplish this year, most of them have to do with baking of some sort, so I will work towards those this year and I would even be ok if I only got to one or two of them…Some of them I just can’t do to living in Japan.
I hope you all have awesome things to look forward to in the New Year!! Baking some new and interesting stuff is one of the things I am looking forward to.
I have to tell you, this Lemon Cake Roll is pretty awesome! It has great taste and the cake, while a tad on the dry side for my liking, is really good. I will admit my most favorite part is the filling. It is so delicious. The lemon flavors are wonderful! If you are a fan of citrus things or lemon in general, you will be a huge fan of this!
HAPPY NEW YEARS EVE!!!!
- 4 Eggs, separated
- ¾ Cup Sugar, divided
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Extract
- ⅔ Cup Cake Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- Confectioners' Sugar
- ~~CREAMY LEMON FILLING~~
- 1 Can (14 ounces) Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ⅓ Cup Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Grated Lemon Peel
- 7 Drops Yellow Liquid Food Coloring, divided
- 1-1/2 Cups Whipped Topping
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until lemon-colored. Gradually beat in ¼ cup sugar. Stir in oil and lemon extract; set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; fold into egg mixture.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in towel, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine the milk, lemon juice, lemon peel and 5 drops of food coloring. Fold in whipped topping. Unroll cake; spread half of the filling over cake to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a platter. Spread remaining filling over cake.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.