After a pretty long hiatus, I am finally back to baking!
It feels as if fall baking should start in September, doesn’t it? I don’t know about you but I am ready for all things pumpkin & apple. But, let’s be real…I will tell you though, I will be making some blueberry-ish things in the near future, so it won’t just be all apples & pumpkins around here.
With not being able to bake for months, I missed out on summer baking. The good thing about living in Hawaii though is that there is an abundance of many summery yummies to buy and use. I have plans for some delicious pineapple goodies down the road too.
I will miss actual fall weather, the chills in the air, the smells of wood burning stoves. But, I’ve got lots of sunshine and blue skies and there is football!!! In other words, it will be very hot and maybe even muggy in my kitchen,lol.
While I made this apple pie bread yesterday, it was around 85 degrees outside. I love it here though and it is so incredibly different than Japan, even the hot is a different kind of hot, if that makes sense. Okay, enough rambling about the weather, lets get to this delicious treat!
I love this bread. I would maybe classify it more as a “cakey” kind of bread though. Right from the oven, with all the yummy warm butteryness is to die for but it is just as amazing the next day and cold. Of course you could always warm it back up in the microwave too. This bread is a perfect melding of our favorite fall smells and tastes. You can not go wrong with apples, cinnamon and butter and of course a little brown sugar!
It does taste like apple pie and certainly smells like it while baking. I diced my apples up pretty small but of course you could make the apple pieces larger. I am baking for a different group of people now, so I went with small diced apples to play it safe,lol. This would be perfect as a breakfast and always as a dessert.
- ½ Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
- ⅓ Cup White Sugar
- ⅔ Cup Brown Sugar, divided
- ¼ Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- ¼ Cup Applesauce
- 2 Eggs, well beaten
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- ⅓ Cup Milk
- 1 Large or 2 Small Apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- Combine ⅓ cup of the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- With mixer on medium, beat white sugar, remaining brown sugar and butter until fluffy. Mix in applesauce. Add well beaten eggs and vanilla.
- Stir together flour and baking powder. Add flour to egg mixture and stir just until combined. Make sure to not over mix!! Add milk.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased and floured loaf pan. Sprinkle with ½ of the apples and ½ of the brown sugar mix.
- Stir the remaining apples into the remaining batter and pour into the pan. Top with remaining brown sugar mixture.
- Bake approx. 40 minutes. Remove from oven, brush topping with melted butter. Continue baking an additional 5-10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 minutes and remove from pan.