May The 4th Be With You!
Today is one of my favorite days of the year! It is a day to celebrate all things Star Wars, also known as Star Wars Day! And what better way is there to celebrate than to bake something! I know the name of the cookie is Skywalker Scrunchies, I get that. BUT my most favorite Star Wars character is Yoda! Hence the picture of Yoda before I introduce the cookie,haha.
Now we can move onto the cookie since I have paid homage to Yoda…also, isn’t he cute?? No? Maybe it’s just me then….lol.
The recipe was originally posted in a book called: Luke Skywalker’s Activity Book, published in 1979…the year I was born 😉
I have to be honest, I was a bit skeptical because I have never made a cookie that had corn flakes as one of the ingredients. And if I am being fully honest, it just did not sound appealing at all. Until I made the batter. Amazingly delicious. Really. It just works!
I knew they would be wonderful before they came out of the oven. Yes, I tried the batter raw, no I did not get sick either, been doing that since I was a young child. I have a few tips to give, take them or leave them but experience has taught me a few things. Use butter..REAL butter, unsalted. If you use margarine or the likes you may end up with a big, runny mess and extremely flat, unpleasant cookies. The other thing I’d like to mention, use either silicone mats or parchment paper, don’t use a spray unless it is necessary. Cookies come out so much better when you don’t use a spray. Reynolds also now sells pre-cut parchment sheets, making it even easier and more cost efficient.
I am in fact in love with these cookies, great flavors! They are perfect and corn flakes have gained some cookie respect from me. So, grab the kids, the husband, your best friend, someone…and whip up a batch of these and go watch the original Star Wars movies!
- ½ Cup Of Butter, Unsalted, room temperature
- ⅔ Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¾ Cup Flour
- 2½ Cups Corn Flakes, Crush them just a little
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare 2 cookie sheets (either grease or the preferred method is parchment paper or silicone mat).
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Add flour, mix thoroughly but do not over mix.
- Stir in the Corn Flakes, gently.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop 12 on each cookie sheet. You can use a spoon as well.
- Bake 11-15 minutes. NOTE: Mine were perfectly baked right at 11 minutes.
- Move to cooling rack. Cool completely before storing.