HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
I hope you all had a wonderful New Years celebration in or out. Since Daniel is on duty, we had a very quiet night in. I think there was one New Year’s we actually got to go out and do something, have a few drinks…I believe that was like 12 years, ago,lol. He seems to get duty on it every year.
Today brings a quiet, low key day, the day before work starts back up for him! We are going bowling this afternoon. There will be a special New Years dinner tonight, not the traditional Corned Beef though, sadly. There was none to be found here this year. So, he is making us delicious steaks and fries instead! Of course, there will be cake!
There is no better way to start the New Year then by baking!! This cake smells amazing while baking. Orange zest and lemon zest blending and melding with the Brandy, yum!!! I will tell you the recipe originally calls for zest of only one orange but I wanted more and went with the zest of two! I know, how daring of me,lol!
Oddly, I am going to put this out there, while the cake was baking my husband said it smelt like corn dogs….Yeah, we are smelling differently. I believe he is hungry,lol. It is different but good.
I have to be honest, making this cake is now a new tradition for me, starting this year! So it will now be a part of our New Years yummies.
Do you make anything special or have family food/sweet treat traditions on New Years Day?
|New Years Vasilopita Cake (Orange & Brandy Bundt Cake)||
- 4 Large Eggs, separated
- 1 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 12 Tablespoons (1½ sticks) Unsalted Butter, melted, or a combination of butter and margarine
- 1¼ Cups Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
- ½ Cup Brandy
- 4 Cups Flour
- 4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- Grated zest of 2 oranges
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- ~~Orange Glaze~~
- 1 Cup Confectionary Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Orange Juice
- ¼ Teaspoon Orange Extract
- Few Drops Orange Liquid Food Coloring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 10-inch bundt cake pan.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until light yellow and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the butter or butter and margarine and beat for 1 minute more. Beat in the orange juice and brandy.
- Whisk together the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and the zests in another large bowl. Add to the yolk mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until incorporated.
- In a large clean bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold them into the batter. Pour the batter into the pan and shake gently to even the top.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until it is golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack before removing from the pan and serving.
- ~~Orange Glaze~~~~
- Combine all ingredients, add more sugar if its to thin or more orange juice if it is to thick.